Dysfunction @ Work

Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dysfunction @ Work

I do have a problem with authority figures. My current boss is a short man with napoleon syndrome. He hates women. He badgers the women. I've heard he's been fired twice and has had sexual harassment charges against him. I know for a fact he's had at least 2 other EEO cases filed against him.

I have filed my own EEO case against him for disparate treatment and creating a hostile work environment.

This has caused a great deal of stress, however. Sometimes I'm proud of myself for sticking up for what I believe is right and sometimes I wish I just kept my mouth shut and did nothing.

Now I am dealing with the repercussions and his retaliation. My union steward feels he is trying to fire me. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.

The female custodian has recently filed an EEO complaint against him. It is not just me.

There is a court hearing date in Boston July 21st. I have no attorney. I'm placing it in hp's hands. I have gotten the impression the admin judge likes me. She complimented me.

Anyway, my next job- I have a clear idea of the relationship I want to have with my supervisor. Things will be different.

peace out,
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

I've been in the exact same position as the one in which you find yourself. I relate very well to your expression of your feelings. I dealt with repercussions and retaliation, too. This situation happened to me more than once.

Two things helped me greatly in my thinking:

1) I have to look at myself in the mirror in the morning. I want to feel good about that, like I stood up for myself, like I didn't just let someone's abuse, slide.

2) In making a move to end a bad situation, I moved not only for myself, but for those who followed me into that specific situation.

I did acquire attorney services, Pro Bono (they get nothing if you lose, a percentage if you win; I don't know if you are suing for money or not) and got more out of it than I would have, on my own.

Perhaps your union rep can advise you of what you need to have in court to prove your cause. I also have found useful information online - by looking up employment laws in my area.

My best to you. Please post again on this after July 21 to let us know how your day in court, turned out.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

I will let ya know how everything turns out. Of course, I'm not basing my happiness on that outcome (or any one particular outcome) The situation is in God/hp's hands. I have a higher power and it's not postal management.

Alanon teaches me that I have choices. I don't have to stay in this unhealthy environment. It would be a waste of time to get into the reasons why it is so unhealthy.

I'm currently job hunting and looking into returning to school to start down a whole new career path.

love in alanon,

Laurie
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I probably worked for the very same man years ago! Nearly every past managing job he had, he'd been fired for something like that.
My alanon friend always says that nothing stays the same. Managers quit or move on just like the workers do. If you can hold out, do it. If not, then it's time to move on. Good luck to you.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dysfunction @ work

Thank you because now I feel less alone in this.

I know one day I will look back on all this and laugh but not so much right now.

All I can do is ask HP for help every day until I find another job. As much as I'd like to go in and do my job and lay low-drama seems to be attached to me @ the hip.

For instance- last Monday morning I showed up to work in my sketchers! Omg! Supervisor sent me home even though I'd told him my son was bringing me my shoes. Another male worker showed up in his sneakers and nothing was said to him. Then I had a postal truck break down on the highway because it was out of oil. It was not my truck so I don't think I can be disciplined for that.

When I went to work Saturday- my body was in fight or flight mode. I had this sense that something bad was going to happen. And something did. Supervisor asked if there was something WRONG with me. Yes, I did take offense to that remark. What exactly did he mean by that???? Did he think I was on drugs or drunk or hungover??????

I go to work afraid of my boss, afraid of being attacked, afraid of being disciplined for stupid things that others don't get disciplined for. I feel he is trying to fire me because of my EEO activity. This isn't good for my work performance.

My sponsor reminds me I have choices and to not let this bully rent space in my head, that he is going to do what bullies do and to not be surprised. I also told her about my decision to go back to school and how I'm looking for another job. She says baby steps are great, considering my options is good.

I carry the health insurance and my husband recently started his own business. Would love to put in my 2 weeks notice but feel it would be a foolish decision if nothing else was in place. And so I need help in accepting this worsening situation for what it is.

Yesterday I told my husband I feel like a failure because of the work situation and his response was "but look at who you are dealing with." 13 prior years service with the post office and no problems with other supervisors and/or performance issues has got to count for something.

Enough of my babbling. I truly need God/hp for strength and courage and acceptance because I don't have much of my own.

love in alanon,
Old 05-30-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dysfunction @work

Duh, I just read your quote "In order to be walked on, you have to be lying down." Funny how things sink in when you take a good look....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you have 13 years with no issues, then the problem is obviously with Supervisor, not with you. That Supervisor has repeatedly gotten EEO and other complaints lodged against him speaks volumes.

The wheels of large bureaucratic organizations grind slowly - but because of your action, and the actions of others, it is possible that this person will eventually be fired. And then? You can go back to work just like you used to before he came in to your office.

There is an end in sight. I know it's enticing to think about walking away, but that does your resume no good at all, it does your other coworkers no good, and it really doesn't help you either.

Perhaps you could look at this as you HP giving you a challenge or homework, if you will. Your homework is to learn to accept the things you can't change, change what you can and ensure that to thine own self be true.

But! I am not the one working with this person (I've worked with similar people, but never in a situation like you describe where I had 13 years with the organization before the incident). I am not the one living your life. I can't say what's right for you.

I can only say take care of yourself and try to keep in mind the big picture - all of that with the caveat that none of us have a crystal ball and the law of unintended consequences is omnipresent. Sometimes what we think is for the best turns out not to be, and vice versa.

Good luck to you and I'm very glad to hear that you have a supportive spouse! That makes a huge difference.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you Lala! Keep us posted! : )