Should I drink?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

should I drink

My father is one of the alcoholics in my family. My husband has been sober 8 years. (no program) I've been in alanon for quite some time.

I used to enjoy a glass or 2 of wine but stopped completely when my husband stopped. I hate what it represents and to me there is nothing good.

Lately, I've wondered what it would be like to go out with the girls and have a drink. But I know I would want that drink because it would probably relax me. I would want that drink because it would alter my mood.

I guess I just don't understand the concept of social drinking. If people weren't drinking for the affect the alcohol has on them- then why not just drink juice or water???????? I don't get it and I guess it doesn't matter if I get it.

I also quit drinking because I'd started antidepressants and the relief from depression was more important than a glass of wine.

My father (who still drinks or did up until recently) met up with a woman @ his high school reunion. They are quite serious. They have a lot of fun together and go out dancing every weekend. My father told me the biggest thing about this was the only thing he drank was diet pepsi when years ago he thought he could only dance when drunk...

I've also read Ozzy Osbourne says the greatest high is the high he gets from endorphins after working out. I think this is just great.

take care,
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpeedyJason View Post
I'm 20 years old, I don't drink and I'm around the "college scene" where EVERYONE on the planet, it seems, drinks. I abstain, people ask me about it, I say I've had bad experiences with it and they usually leave it alone. They can pressure me all they want, but who cares? I know what's right for me, so I'm doing what I choose, and if they have a problem with it, then they really aren't worth my time. My friends don't pressure me anymore, I can still "party" and have a lot of fun without it, and I believe they can see that. Don't drink, it's not worth it, especially if alcoholism or any sort of addiction runs in the family. I actually have some friends who commend me for it (though I doubt they really mean it, seems kinda fake to me when they say "Boy, I wish I was like you and never started in the first place" Uhm, no, I think you're lying because if you wished you were like me you would have stopped by now, but I appreciate the effort of sincereity buddy is what I'm thinking, but I take with a smile and nod anyway).
^
This inspires me. TY