Strength or Number 13

Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strength or Number 13

13. Adult children of alcoholics are impulsive. They tend to lock themselves into a course of action without giving serious consideration to alternative behaviors or possible consequences. This impulsively leads to confusion, self-loathing and loss of control over their environment. In addition, they spend an excessive amount of energy cleaning up the mess.

In the last couple months I have learned a lot about where I have come from and what has influenced a lot of my choices and reactions. Several months ago you couldn't have convinced me otherwise, I was defective, end of discussion. Now I find that I have hope in new places. I have a belief in myself and my own strength I would never have shown before. I am very proud of myself for doing this. However no person is an island. I would still be a scared little ACA without the love and constant support of my "new family."

This week I put in two weeks notice at a job I have held for seven years. Rationally it was not impulsive I assured that financially I was stable for nearly a year and put into place back up opportunities in case I misjudged my funds. I am now going full throttle towards a long time dream of dog training, it's an under developed field frought with many dead soldiers. I am absolutely exhilirated. I feel as though I am finally working for a purpose. For once this purpose isn't for someone else it's for me.

However, that nagging voice in the back of my head *cough* my relatives *cough cough* says that I'm being impulsive. Looking at the characteristics again it makes me wonder, am I being the ACA by worrying about it and looking for the problem, or am I being the ACA by being impulsive and brash?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think you are being impulsive or brash at all. Don't listen to those voices. As a fellow ACA, I have to put all voices on hold until I follow through with something. Otherwise, they will shame me right out of whatever it is, and my enthusiasm will just melt away.

Watch out for that stuff. Toxic as h***. I applaud you going ahead with a new career.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, that's what I thought, sometimes its nice to hear another voice besides those ones though...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am absolutely exhilirated. I feel as though I am finally working for a purpose. For once this purpose isn't for someone else it's for me.
This is beautiful Payne.
Wow, it sounds like you are happy and ready to do your "life" work.
Amazing.
Thank you for sharing.

Beth

PS

Pfffft on any naysayers!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Wicked