Struggle is over - but just beginning

Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggle is over - but just beginning

I'm new to this site - I am 31 and just lost my father to alcoholism three weeks ago today. I had a great normal upbringing - he was always there for me, was my softball coach, my friend and a good dad, but an awful husband to my mom. He was a "happy drunk" i call it - I never knew until i was in my 20s how bad it was. As he got worse my older brother and I had so many angry feelings towards him as i would beg him to quit and he wouldnt. I got a call that he was in the hospital and after a lot of mixed feelings i went there to see him. I was 5 hours away when i got the call that he had died. I went anyway and had a moment with him - he looked awful - very yellow, very old and worn out looking - and he was only 59. You can tell he was ready to give up the struggle and I just hope he is at peace wherever he is - i know i have so many issues because of him - lack of trust, anger, guilt. But most of all i am surprised by the grief i am feeling - i did not think i would be this sad - i have such a heavy heart and am normally SO positive, so these feelings are confusing. I thought i would be relieved of the day he wouldn't call me drunk again, now i would do anything to hear his voice - only sober. Its hard to explain to people who havent been there, so hoping this gives me a sense of release.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My condolences. My own father is very sick right now. I think it's hard for men of our father's generation (I'm only a couple years older than you). I guess they'd rather give up, and then we deal with the consequences of their choices...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They may have been a lot of anger, but even then, as you describe, there were still some good memories and things about your father that you've lost.

Welcome to our SR forum
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something to think about: are you grieving for the father who was, or are you grieving for the father that might have been?

Most of us ACoAs grieve for the parent(s) we thought/wished they would have been at some stage in our recovery.

I am sorry for your loss - both the loss of your father, and the loss of the father you might have had if he had not been consumed by alcohol.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noodles View Post
But most of all i am surprised by the grief i am feeling - i did not think i would be this sad - i have such a heavy heart and am normally SO positive, so these feelings are confusing. I thought i would be relieved of the day he wouldn't call me drunk again, now i would do anything to hear his voice - only sober. Its hard to explain to people who havent been there, so hoping this gives me a sense of release.

When this happened to me, I realized I was holding out hope that ONE DAY I would have a good, loving, supportive relationship w/ my parent and now it was NEVER going to happen. I was not just grieving my AP, I was grieving over what would never be.
It's a lot to deal with. (((((Big hugs)))))