Aware or lack there of

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aware or lack there of

Have a senior citizen parent who was never the sharpest individual around, probably because of much drinking.

But one thing that I always noticed is that he was never an aware of his surroundings individual. Alot of stuff going on around was background noise shall we say. He frequently sits on things like newspapers, coins or clothing if left on a chair. He could step in dog poop or oil and almost always has to be told about it. His car/s are frequently littered with dings, scratches and dents/damage which he mostly canNOT explain. He'll frequently loose things. Water can be boiling over with the whistle going and he simply won't be aware of it.

I don't know if he's simply unaware of it due to poor senses or realize he should react. Is it a matter of putting 2 & 2 together... or not? Can't multit task? This isn't just an old age thing I remember being around as a kid when he stepped on broken glass or the time his robe was smoldering from getting too close to the stove.

He's simply not an aware individual or this years of drinking?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello there thequest, and pleased to "meet" you

I am not able to answer your question because it sounds like it would take a doctor to examine him and determine what's going on. A good place to find a doc experienced in treating alcoholics is to go to a few meetings of al-anon and ask the people there for a referral.

Mike
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have noticed the same kinds of things in my relatives too although not quite to that extreme! Wow. I don't have an answer either. Could be many things. Some men in particular, I've noticed, seem to expect to be taken care of to an extreme extent. But there are many possible explanations, from extreme codependency, to alcoholism, to neurological problems, to mental health disorders such as perhaps Asperger's syndrome or pathological narcissism. Undiagnosed mental health disorders can lead people to self-medicate with alcohol.

Alcohol can cause brain damage, but if this has been going on since you were a kid, then there are probably other things going on here.