Mom's health problems

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mom's health problems

Hi all,
Just got back from being home for Christmas and I feel sick to my stomach. This past summer my mom ended up in the hospital from drinking too much, her BAC was at the point where she could have died. It was the worst night of my life. She has stopped drinking since then- its pretty apparent when she is drinking. But she hasn't gotten into any sort of AA program or seen any therapists.
I came home for Thanksgiving and the whites of her eyes looked a bit yellow. I knew immediately that she was jaundiced, and it scared the **** out of me. I talked to my therapist about it, but I have been actively trying to stay out of the family craziness (in the past I was hugely emotionally over-involved and my mother encouraged my over-involvement to a large extent, and it just needed to stop). When I was home this time, she looked way worse. The yellow was just sickening. I had a really hard time even looking at her, it just hurt so bad. My dad, I think, has an idea of what's going on, but he just acts pissed off all the time and he's a part of the problem (HUGE enabler), and I swear to God he could ignore a tornado swirling in the middle of the living room. I also think it was just easier for him when she was using (which makes me livid, but I won't get into that). I tried not to spend a lot of time in the house- my mother was there almost all day, so didn't really interact with either of my parents hugely.
I'm back in at my apartment now and feel a little less emotionally restrained and a little less need to be quite as detached and I feel like I NEED to say something. My dad won't do ****, but I feel like I should tell my mom she NEEDS to get to a DR. My aunt, who is in recovery (goes to AA), 15 years sober, was up at our house over Christmas, and I'm pretty sure that she noticed- maybe I should say something to her?
I am just so heartbroken. And I have so much going on in the next year, personally, that this just feels like so much, I so wish this wasn't happening
Old 12-31-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you are going through this. I personally would say something to both mom and Aunt. If you do you will know that you have tried...if not and she takes a turn for the worse...you will always feel like you should have said something.