I just want to say thank you.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just want to say thank you.

Good morning everyone,

I joined this forum a while back, when I was feeling particularly alone and lost. It gave me great comfort and insight then - even posted a few times, but mostly read a LOT of posts, which really helped me gain some clarity. Sooooo, life being what it is (and thinking "I can handle this all by myself" yeah right!), I dropped off for awhile. Now I've noticed that some of the same thought patterns are creeping back in my beady brain, and I decided to come back. Just spending the past 20 minutes or so reading posts has given me some relief.

I've realized that I am very grateful for the insight, love and acceptance I feel on this forum. I also realize that I can feel all of the things I am feeling and every single one of those emotions is okay - it's part of sorting all of this out and I am a constant work in progress.

So, this week of Thanksgiving, I am grateful for YOU, your experiences, your insights, your acceptance. I will be back, possibly posting more and definitely reading more.

*take what you like and leave the rest*
Old 11-23-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am grateful for this site also. Even people who truly love me and truly want me to be happy have difficulties understanding some of my family background. Having a place where people can understand the challenges of being an ACoA, who don't say "but it's so easy, just don't be/do that anymore," is invaluable.

Welcome back!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SR is an AWESOME recovery
tool I have used over the
years. The people here whom
Ive never met face to face
Ive come to know thru their
shares are priceless.

People here in SR come
and go from time to time
and return when least
expected and Im so glad
to see them again.

We remember them by
their Aviatar, look for them
and miss them when gone.

SR is my online recovery
family and I love them..!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

Originally Posted by Learn2Live4Me View Post
Sooooo, life being what it is (and thinking "I can handle this all by myself" yeah right!), I dropped off for awhile. Now I've noticed that some of the same thought patterns are creeping back in my beady brain, and I decided to come back. Just spending the past 20 minutes or so reading posts has given me some relief.
Agreed! One thing I have learned about alcoholism, and living with alcoholics, is that the disease molds me to think 'I have to do this alone because my problems are not that bad, its shameful to discuss my issues with others, its weakness to connect the issue to anyone else's actions, and I have to re-invent the wheel of recovery all on my own.'
This forum provides a daily dose of vitamins E, S and H (experience, strength, and hope). I am not going to pursue recovery with tools handed down to me from alcoholic, nor will I settle for discount store bargain bin tools (apologies to bargain store staff). I get my tools from a high quality place like this forum and weekly alanon meetings.

Originally Posted by Learn2Live4Me View Post
So, this week of Thanksgiving, I am grateful for YOU, your experiences, your insights, your acceptance. I will be back, possibly posting more and definitely reading more.
Agreed -The sequel! And a 'me too' thanks to everyone for a year of sharings. Be well this week, if you are celebrating a holiday or just enjoying a pleasant late fall or late spring week. :
Old 11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grewupinabarn View Post
'I have to do this alone because my problems are not that bad, its shameful to discuss my issues with others, its weakness to connect the issue to anyone else's actions, and I have to re-invent the wheel of recovery all on my own.'
Even reading this is a learning experience. How often have I not told anyone what's really happening in my life? Even now, I think compared to people in war-torn, third-world countries, my life is pretty darn good. (and of course, it is, but I think the unspoken rest of the thought was always, so you have to believe your life is perfect. Kind of like looking at a limb torn off and trying to pretend you're fine, because somebody, somewhere, is in even worse shape?)