My Dad died

Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Dad died

Well, it turned out that my AF was not immortal -- he lasted a long time, being about three months shy of 91, but he expired peacfully at home yesterday. I talked to his nurse afterwards, and she said nothing much happened -- he just quietly stopped breathing, and with hospice care and a do-not-resuscitate order, they let him go.

I'm sure you guys can tell that I've been angry with my Dad a lot of the time; but now that he's gone, I have to say there are a lot of great things he did for me, too. Taught me a lot, always encouraged things I wanted to get involved with (even when I was reluctant myself, e.g., trying out for Little League, where after he cajoled me into joining, I turned out to be a good pitcher), coming to my music gigs. He and my Mom always gave me honest evaluations of whether they thought the band was any good -- that's much better than having them always tell you it's great; if they didn't like the band, they told me so; so if they did like it, I knew they were sincere!

My Dad was also a brilliant scientist, had good innate musical talent, and was loyal, to a fault. When I got involved with an alcoholic, he never second-guessed what I was doing or told me to get out -- instead, he supported us the whole way (through treatment, recovery, etc.).

So it's a mixed bag. At times, I've described my Dad as a raging, alcoholic control freak -- and he was that; but he was a lot of good things, too. Now that he's gone, I'm going to try and benefit from the good things, and move on past the bad, since we won't be fighting anymore....

T
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am so sorry for your loss. I, too, lost my father but it was many, many years ago. Like all fathers, he was human and as such, had faults. Just like you, I concentrate on the good times and let the bad issues go. He wasn't really a very good father, but I know he loved me and I loved him. Remember the good things about him and, again, I am sorry for your loss.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a parent is hard. Lost mine many years ago. Although, at the time, there were hard feelings, they are gone, now. I am able to see them as flawed human beings doing they best they could with what they had.

Save them in fond, loving memories. The bad is a reminder of what he could be at his worst, and that really wasn't him at all, just what was working through him at that time.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So it's a mixed bag. At times, I've described my Dad as a raging, alcoholic control freak -- and he was that; but he was a lot of good things, too. Now that he's gone, I'm going to try and benefit from the good things, and move on past the bad, since we won't be fighting anymore....

T
T,
Sorry for your loss, and I appreciate your ability to benefit from the good things and move past the bad. I have read every one of your posts (I think, my father was a raging controlling alcoholic too) and I understand your pain, but also the relief of letting him go with grace.
Feel good T, you deserve it, as do we all.

Beth
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry to hear that your father died. I have followed your recent struggles with him and his illness and hope that you can find the peace you truly deserve.

All the best, HG
Old 09-27-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too am sorry for your loss. You sound like you are doing well remembering the good things about him. Maybe just keep it that way and let the rest go with him.

Hugs and Condolences
Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I lost my Dad in February, he was a young 84. I am sorry for your loss, it will take some time for the grieving process to end, let it flow.

Try and remember the good, let the bad go, serves no purpose and will just drag you down.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiya hun,

I read all your posts about your dad, and reading between the lines it was very obvious you cared for him deeply and did your best against a very difficult situation.

Now that he has gone, it is very good that you can focus on the good things that happend and how he was there for you at certain times of your life. the way you describe him in your last post says to me that he was a very strong, honest man.

Controlling maybe, difficult and an alcholic as well, but he still shone through for you at times. I am glad you can remember the good times hun.

May he rest in peace, and god bless you and your family.

Hugs,

Suzie xx
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

I too am sorry to hear your loss. I have read many of your posts and identify with a lot of what you have said. My father was also very intelligent, although less controlling and more raging. And he too died quietly, which was ironic in light of all the tragedy/drama and his many close calls while drunk.

It will take time to work through the good and bad of his life and your relationship with him. I know what is it like to work through the grief of losing someone for whom I could feel, in a single moment, great love, deep respect, and seething anger.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read ur share and send my
condolences.

I haven't experienced the lost
of my parents yet. Not sure how
I will feel when either passes
away.

Years of childhood physical and
verbal abuse at the hand of my
sick mom, I finally cut my ties
with her.

It wasn't until recently that I
finally had enough of her.

My recovery and sobriety
is extremely important to me
to allow anyone to disturb
that.

Over the yrs. I have tried to
be close to her to only be pushed
away one too many times.

Enough was enough.

I know she is sick in her own
way, but very toxic to me.

I learned in recovery and thru
my faith to forgive those that
hurt me for they know
not what they were doing.

Forgive but never forget.

Each time she pushed me
away was like reliving the
whole abuse thing again.

And each time resentments
creep in.

I can't live like that in recovery.

Serenity is important.

She isnt a bad person, infact
I think of her still as an attractive
woman, kind to strangers, but
sick.

It's still not right to take her
inventory. What gives me the
right?

Anyway....im sure when the
time comes, I will have strength
and courage to do what is right.

It will be an event I won't have
to go thru alone.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((( hugs ))))) T

When my folks died I had both good and bad feelings all mixed up in a soup. You seem to have some really solid serenity there, your recovery is admirable. Good for you Let us know how you're doing, I know my emotions went for weeks in complete normalcy and then I'd get a faceful of chaos.

Mike
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I am sorry for your loss.

I can relate a bit, I lost my alcoholic dad a couple years ago. I have forgiven him for the bad things, and remember him for the good. We didn't talk for 15 years before he died, now it's too late.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss, but it's a great gift to be able to zero on the good T.
Prayers for you and your family

D
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi tromboneliness, sorry for the complicated loss. There's probably a lot of emotions - including a lot of good that you're processing right now. I hope you're been easy on yourself these past few weeks.

Now that he's gone, I'm going to try and benefit from the good things, and move on past the bad, since we won't be fighting anymore....
This sounds like a great idea
Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm am so sorry for your loss.

My Dad is getting up there in age now too.

(((((hugs)))))

I'm so thankful for your shares here as I relate.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BBD

So sorry to hear about your dad. Its a good thing you can remember all the positive things between the two of you. That will help with the grieving progress.Its so tough loosing a loved one~~especially parents. Hugs~
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. I too found that after my Dad passed last year, that he too left me with a lot of valuable lessons.

be well,
Mj
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So sorry to read about your loss.

And how you are handling it. Realizing what greatness they had and how talented they were. But how family life was really like. Some of us can certainly relate.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

my thoughts & prayers will be with you as you go thru this time of grief -
HUGS,
Rita