My parents are in denial

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My parents are in denial

Both my mom and my dad (divorced) are what I would consider to be alcoholics.

My dad has parties and gets drunk, makes beer, and is sort of a beer connoisseur. He was telling me about the new beer he has on tap at his house and it was sort of triggering me (I am and addict and an alcoholic) so I told him "Well, I am trying to get used to life without beer." He said "Oh, I'd just as soon kill myself." I know he was joking, but that sounds like something an alcoholic would say to me.

My mom is the sort who just always has a drink in her hand once she's off work. She drinks rum and cokes, not sure how many a day anymore, but she came to stay with my husband to help take care of my son when I was in rehab, and he said she drank quite a lot.

So, here I am, just wanted to get my story out there. Both my parents were decent parents, but I think they could have done a lot better if they were sober. I have an almost two year old son, and I hope that he does not remember me using at all. I don't want him to wonder 'what if?' like I do.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.

My dad is the same way, never really drunk, but always with a drink in the hand, every picture of him, a drink in the hand, usually holding it up in a big 'Cheers!' sort of way, with a big grin. I just shook my head when I saw he'd started a facebook page and even there, it's him in his chair holding a drink high.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
I think they could have done a lot better if they were sober...
I'd wager your right.

Part of the recovery process is recognizing the roles the people have been playing in your life, in many cases feeding the circumstances of your addiction. One hard, crushing reality is understanding that although you've climbed out of addiction and can recognize yourself in it, they can't relate. They may never relate to all the change you're experiencing in being 'adult'.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What I'm learning is that when people feel the need to push alcohol or drugs on those who decline the offer, they usually have a problem themselves.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey, watchthesky,

i just wanted to let you know i notice that you are new here.

welcome, and have you introduced yourself with your own thread? don't have to, but we'd like to say "hi".
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey, good for you being committed to being a sober parent. it's the best gift you can give your child.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, coffeedrinker! I am indeed new to SR. I'm an alcoholic myself (as well as my father) so I posted my introduction on the newcomers forum there, but I'd be happy to introduce myself here too!