Hi, new here...

Old 10-19-2003, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Hi, new here...

Hi,
I am 21 and grew up with an alcoholic father. He was/is very violent. My mom is in denial in every form of the word. I put myself into counseling over a year and a half ago. I have a awesome therapist (who sat with me for 2 1/2 hrs on Fri, while I completely emotionally broke down). I used cutting & burning as a coping mechanism for 3 or 4 years, and haven't cut in a long time, I think it's up to 240 something. I am a perfectionist and have struggled with eating issues as well. I am having a hard time lately with everything, flashbacks of rages and hurt. So I figured I would join the board. That is my little intro...

Jess
Old 10-19-2003, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Jess and welcome!

I think it's awesome that you put yourself in therapy at such a young age. You took a big step and it seems you've made a lot of progress. A lot of us can relate to the pain and anger that comes when we start dealing with our childhoods. I'm glad you found us and I hope you keep coming back.

You may also want to check out the Eating Disorders forum here.

Take care and hugs,
JG
Old 10-19-2003, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Jess. I am new here as well, and finding the boards are a sanity check for me when I want to pull my hair out.

I agree with JG and think it's great that you are focussed on healing at such a young age. It's never too late, but I do wish I had put my recovery first a long time ago!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome Jess!

You have found a good place. Take the tour of the forums...many of us post in more than one.

Make yourself at home!
Hugs,
JT
Old 10-23-2003, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Jess- I am a 19 year old male and I have had common experiences.

My dad is also an alcoholic, but not really a violent one (physically). He is mostly manipulative and decietful.

I cut myself many times over the years, and i've found the strength to somehow stop as well.

i have purged up to 40 lbs in one bout of starvation...

We should talk sometime.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Jess! I'm Lisa, new to this board too, wanted to say hi. I grew up with a violent alcoholic father too and have been working on these issues for about 8 years now and I still get rage and rage and rage! Every time I think I've gotten to the bottom of it, there's more. Hang in there.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome Lisa,

You say you have been working on this for some time? We would love to hear from you!

Hugs,
JT
Old 11-11-2003, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Jess, I'm new to this whole thing too and I'm 21 also. I have an abusive, manipulative, angry, bitter alcoholic mother. I to have put myself in therapy and i have made some progress. It seems like the pain will never end sometimes. I know what it's like. Hang in there...

Tiffany