Cycle..younger siblings

Old 08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Cycle..younger siblings

Hi everyone..
I found this site when I decided to get sober for myself..I am grateful for it, but this is actually my first post. My sponser said that I am an ACO and the more I read and researched, I could not agree more.

Anyhow..I am only recently dealing with my childhood issues, but my concern is the present. My mother is an alcoholic and her disease is progressing. The problem is I have a 10 year old brother who lives with her now. I am 27..my mom had me when she was 16..introduced me to drinking when I was 14.. You get the point. She has a lot of issues she has not dealt with, or won't anytime soon, if ever. I have made a decision to move out of state and came to live at home for two months to save money before I go. Needless to say, I had no idea how bad it is now. There are a lot of times I come home and my brother hasn't had dinner yet (10 at night), and I feel helpless because I am leaving soon. Also, before I moved in, I didn't know how much my mom really drank. I guessed, but I was wrong. I guess I am just dealing with being so pissed off at her and being scared for her. I just wanted to let this all out because I decided tonight that I am going to stay with my sister for the next few weeks because it's threatining my sobriety being here.
I am just sad.
Thanks for listening.
Rachel
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Rachel, and welcome to our corner of recovery

Originally Posted by mcginr31 View Post
... ....
... I decided to get sober for myself.. ....
Congratulations! That's a major acomplishment, most alkies never do.

... but my concern is the present. My mother is an alcoholic and her disease is progressing. ....
You might want to visit our forum "next door"

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There is a ton of information there on how to deal with a family member who is actively drinking. I'm sure you'll find it helpful. You can also check out some meetings of al-anon

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

... There are a lot of times I come home and my brother hasn't had dinner yet (10 at night), and I feel helpless because I am leaving soon.....
You know, if your 10 year old brother is not being fed because your mother is drinking then there are all kinds of resources you can use to help both of them. Starting with the counselor at his school, all the way to the social services agency for the state. Which of those resources you want to use, if any, is something you can discuss with the people at the local al-anon meetings. They will be able to give you suggestions and referal to local professionals like lawyers, therapists and social workers to help you come up with a plan.

...I just wanted to let this all out because I decided tonight that I am going to stay with my sister for the next few weeks because it's threatining my sobriety being here. ....
That sounds like a very wise idea. Good for you.

...Thanks for listening. ....
you bet, and feel free to share all you want. That's why we are here.

Mike