HELP! my mum is addicted to laxatives and alcohol

Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HELP! my mum is addicted to laxatives and alcohol

Basically I'm 16 years old and i found out recently that my mum is addicted to laxatives and alcohol.
But because i'm only young i didn't recognise the signs of these problems until now and when i think back, it's been going on for as long as i can remember.
She eats relatively nothing throughout the day, then has a masive meal (4x the size of anyone i know) at 10pm at night and then takes the laxatives. She's barely got any fat on the bottom half of her body (5ft 9 with size 8 legs and a 12 on top), but is just average on the top.
I've read up about it and found out laxatives are very dangerous and can cause death. On top of this if she has a day off she'll drink until she's blind drunk, but it won't take alot of alcohol for this to happen.
I need advice!
She's never spoke to me about it, my step dad knows but doesn't feel theres anything he can do as it's up to her. I can't except that as if something does happen and i never did anything i will live with the guilt.

I need advice please please please, i just don't want to make it worse.

Thank you Beth xx
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Recovery

That's amazing that you are able to recognize signs of addiction at your young age. Good for you!

She sounds like she has an eating disorder along with her addiction. You might ask someone in the medical / mental profession, or if you have a friend / someone who's parent know about eating disorders...it's more about mindset than addiction...trying to maintain an "ideal" image of oneself.

The best thing, you have already done...opened your eyes to it, and spoken about it with someone.