Where do I fit in?

Old 09-25-2003, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I fit in?

I have one very vivid memory that I cannot forget. We were flying down the interstate, my mom's live-in boyfriend, Frank was driving her car. They were fighting. My mom suddenly grabbed the steering wheel and we did a complete 360 right there in the middle of traffic and ended up on the shoulder. An older lady stopped to ask if we were okay, my mom said she had picked this guy up, he was a hitchiker, and now he wouldn't get out of her car. Well, that did it for him. He took off walking, but before he did he opened the trunk, threw in the keys and closed it again. We were stranded. We had to walk to a gas station off the next exit and she called my dad to come pick us up. It had been so long since we had seen him, it was like he was a stranger. That night, after we were in bed, I could hear them talking. It sounded like they might want to be together again. I felt happy and safe. Sometime after I fell asleep, my twin brother shook me awake. He was saying "Frank's here. He's hurting mom and dad. We have to go get help. We have to go to Mr. Boring's house." I was so tired, I couldn't wake up. But I remember it just the same. I fell back to sleep. Later still, I awoke at my grandma's house. I had no idea how I got there. I went out to the living room. It was dark, but the red lights of an ambulance were flashing across the ceiling and walls. My aunt was there, sitting in the dark. She told me to come sit on her lap, so I did. She held me and rocked me until I fell asleep. I didn't cry. I didn't know what was going on. I was only six. I still feel guilty.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am sorry this happened to you. I am not sure what your question is. If it is about the guilt a 6 year old cannot be expected to respond in an emergency.

Hugs,
JT
Old 09-27-2003, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, I guess I forgot to ask my question. I got off track telling my little story. Anyway, long story short: Parents divorced when i was four...lived with mom, she was an alcoholic...not abusive, VERY negligent...didn't see dad much after that...when i was eight we went to live with grandparents, not really nice people...mom moved out of state...didn't see her or hear from her for four years until she moved back when i was twelve...still didn't have much contact until i was older, 15-16...at 18 my grandparents kicked me out, i went to live with my mom for the first time in 14 years...she was evicted, had no money, no place to go...i started helping her, got her a place to stay, been giving her money, she calls me every time she has a problem...i'm 25 now...i just want her to be happy and have a comfortable life, and things really have gotten a lot better for her...she hardly drinks at all, has a great job, mostly takes care of her self, but i still feel like i have to help her all the time...even if its not the best thing for me...why can't i stop mothering her and take care of myself? and do i fit in with the "usual" behavior of an adult child of an alchoholic? i mean, i hardly knew her growing up, how could her drinking have effected me that much, other than the fact that it caused her not to be there? just curious and a bit confused...wanted to relate i guess. thanks for "listening".