Advice?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice?

So my mum is an alcoholic.......
within the last year shes gotten worse.
she drinking in the evenings and is now spending all weekend drunk in bed and not eating.
she's also depressed and her personality has completely changed.
I suffer from mild agoraphobia and very bad anxiety and I'm finding the situation I'm in hard to cope with. I live with my mum too.
then to night I hear a bang and find her on the floor in the room.
maybe I should have called an ambulance? I don't know what to do in these situations, I'm not sure if she hurt her self or what because she is so drunk!
and if i called an ambulance would I have to go with her? or what happens if she refused to go??
Because of my anxiety I can't cope with things like this but I have no choice.
she's my mother I don't want her to kill her self :-(
Old 01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mishel, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I also have an AM and I vividly remember the first time I heard the "bang". It is horrible. Are there others in your home that can help you? When my AM would fall, we finally got to the point where as bad as it sounds, we let her lay there as long as she was breathig and we saw no signs of her being injured. If you call an ambulance, you may have to go, I am not sure, as we never had to call an ambulance. If you want to get help for your mom though, calling an ambulance when she does that would be a good idea because they could possibly get your AM into a detox program. We have been dealing with my AM for 15 years now and just finally got her to willing go to treatment last night. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have called an ambulance to my house every time my AM fell so that maybe we could have opened her eyes sooner. You are in a tough situation and I feel for you. I am still new to this website, but it has really helped me a lot. Others will jump in too and give you advice. If there is anyway you can go to Al Anon meetings. Everyone on here speaks so highly of them that I am going to my first one this weekend. They teach you how to detach from the alcoholic so you can handle these type situations better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I am allowed to ask, but are you an adult or a minor? I ask because if you are a minor, I can see why that would add to your anxiety.

Either way, I understand EXACTLY where you are coming from. I used to live with mine, and now I am trying to get her to live with me because she stopped working entirely a year and a half ago. The difference is, I live 1,000 miles away and when she doesn't answer the phone...

I have heard great things about Al-Anon (we don't have it here I'd go). I understand with agoraphobia it might be hard to go to a meeting, so I will tell you what is helping me.

I too have anxiety with acute agoraphobia. Meds help me with full blown Panic Attacks, but I found acupuncture to be very effective and we are going to start weaning me off the meds in about two weeks. Even with all the additional stress, I am able to handle it with ease where before, I'd end up in the hospital because the stress would go to my stomach... if you can try it, seriously consider it. It either works or it doesn't depending on the individual and totally worth a try. It's helping me in ways I didn't know I needed help. I didn't know I was depressed until after the 3rd treatment I realized I was happy and felt an inner sense of peace. I found myself singing along to music and realized I hadn't done so in years. Last week, I even giggled.