living with the enemy

Old 10-24-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

living with the enemy

Ok not the enemy, but my alcoholic mother. The drunken insults are such a mind f*ck sometimes. She talks down on me for having a drinking problem (even though she knows I'm now in recovery) and living with her (even tho I moved back in because SHE was lonely and asked me to). I plan on moving out in 2 to 3 months maximum and I'm wondering what will be of our relationship after then. I love her dearly, she's on my gratitude list, but our interactions are so damned hard for me because they always go awry. What to do? Thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there LiveLikeGold6, and pleased to "meet" you

Living with somebody who is active in their addiction is a nightmare. I did that for several years with me ex who was addicted to pills. I'm never doing _that_ again !!!

As to what to do for the next few months until you move out, have you tried al-anon? Lots of people suggested it to me, but I was quite stubborn and didn't go until I was desperated. Wish I had gone sooner as it has done me a world of good. We have a related forum right here on SR

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Al-anon are the experts on living with an active alkie. They have concepts like "detachment" and "boundaries" that saved my sanity. They use the same 12 steps as all the other "step-programs" so I felt right at home when I walked in. Check them out, maybe you'll find something helpful.

Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thanks desert. I have been told about alanon a while ago but haven't tried it yet, out of fear I guess. But I'm definitely going to check it out this upcoming week and post back.