Hi, new here

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new here

Hello, I am new at this forum and English is not my first language, so please bear with me.

My main problem is isolation because of shame and guilt. After I divorced my alcoholic husband, I feel alone. I have not the strength to meet people anymore, so I isolate myself.

I used to be popular and outgoing, now I donīt know what to do.
I have been like this for nine years.

ViolaMary
Old 10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome

I also self isolate. Just today I was with a bunch of other young people (like me) and I didn't really talk to anyone. I had some crazy idea that any second they would all turn on me and say how much no one liked me and I was a horrible person, etc.

I never was popular or outgoing, so I can't compare.

"I have not the strength to meet people anymore" I totally understand. I don't have the strength to do much of anything.

I also feel very alone.

you are no longer alone here

DM
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there ViolaMary, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by ViolaMary View Post
...I used to be popular and outgoing, now I donīt know what to do. ...
I think you are doing the right thing by joining this forum. You can "meet" a lot of people thru the computer without needing any strength at all. Also try "next door" at our forum for ex-spouses of alcoholics:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I'm glad you decided to joing us. By the way, your English is _much_ better than my Finnish

Mike
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ViolaMary, welcome! You are NOT alone even though I know you feel that way. We are here to help. Please keep posting here.

Al-anon is a worldwide organization. Maybe there are some meetings in your area? It's a good way to meet people who understand the way you feel and have also dealt with the problem of alcoholism.

xoxo. Hugs!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ViolaMary - glad you have found us.

You are no longer alone and there is amazing strength to be found in these forums.

I hope you visit often, IWTHxxx
Old 10-24-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am an ACoA and i understand about self isolation. I find that it is difficult after having lived with an alcoholic or addict and having your behaviour and personality changed, to go back to being how you were. A mild depression is usually also present and unless someone has lived with an alcoholic, they dont really understand what you have gone through. That is why this site is so great. Because everyone here understands what you are going through and you dont have to worry about anyone thinking you are weird or crazy.

Whenever i feel a depression phase comming on, i tend to self isolate. I dont feel that i can talk to anyone about it, so i ignore the world for a few days. Some suggestions that i have might be to take vitamin B, which boosts ceratonin. Also, i dont know if you have had counselling, but that can help a lot. I also suggest trying one new thing a month. It sounds a bit strange, but if you slowly introduce a new activity or interest for yourself, it encourages you to interact with people.