Did I know or is it crappy luck?

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I know or is it crappy luck?

I'm new to all of this but my question is HOW did I end up with a drug addict husband? Did I pick him because of his addictive personality without knowing it because it was what I knew from my childhood?

The story:

My dad is an alcoholic and drug addict and has been for as long as I can remember. My mother finally escaped when I was 17 and he was too messed up to care about custody. I haven't seen him since. I married my husband when I was 19. A wonderful, hard-working christian man who has since become addicted to pain pills and is now in rehab for the 2nd time in a year. Our 15th wedding anniversary is in Nov. His addiction started appearing about year five and has progressed along since. I vowed to NEVER live the life as an adult that I lived as a child which is why I stayed away from alcohol, drugs etc. as a teenager even when "everybody else was doing it" yet I still ended up with an addict and I recently found out he had started drinking recently too. How? Dumb luck or was I somehow drawn to personality traits of a person who has an addict tendency? It just seems so dang unfair.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, from what you say, he wasn't an addict when you met him. Addiction to pain pill is fairly common. It happens to a lot of people that wouldn't normally take what we think of as drugs. The problem comes when they fall back into the trap. You have to decide what you really want for your own life and that of your children, if you have any. You have to set your own boundaries and stick to them. Read the posts in the Friends and Family forums. It will open your eyes to what can eventually happen. I wish you much luck.

Ooops...almost forgot! Welcome to SR. There is a wealth of information here and people who really do care. Stick around and read, read, read.

Last edited by suki44883; 09-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.