Need help with problem relating to daughter's school

Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help with problem relating to daughter's school

My daughter was attending a public school last year, which she loves. Her friends from pre-k attend the same school and she is in choir. We moved and are now 3 blocks from the district. The school is telling me that she cannot attend because we are out of the district. The school that IS in the district does not offer choir and none of her friends attend this school. I'm not sure if I am forcing my will by contacting the school board on this matter or if I am doing what is right because her needs will not be met by attending the school in our district. Very confused about this and if anyone has any experience in this, I would truly appreciate your experience. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just called the school board and was told the decision is at the discretion of the principal. Left a message for the principal to call me. Please keep my daughter in your prayers.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening

We lost our house, cars, stuff, basically everything. My dd was in first grade and I was faced with the task of finding some where to move, I desperately wanted to keep dd in the same school, as her life had literally been turned inside out. I expressed my fears to my dd's then 1st grade teacher.

I came home a few days later to a phone message from dd's teacher. She had approached the principal and told him of our plight. Her message was from the principal,"You tell that man to find a safe place for him and dd to live, and not to worry, I'll give him a voucher to continue at this school."

It still brings tears to my eyes, he "got it". On a side note, a couple of new schools opened up last year, and they reconfigured the districts, and we are now back in the proper district!

Our new 3rd grade teacher is going to be fabulous, she was also picked for us with input from dd's 1st and 2nd grade teachers. We are blessed!

You will be in my prayers.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Our new 3rd grade teacher is going to be fabulous, she was also picked for us with input from dd's 1st and 2nd grade teachers. We are blessed!
About 30 min after singing the 3rd grade teacher's praises here on SR, the phone rang, and it was her...just calling to say what a wonderful first day dd had and that she wanted me to tell dd that she was looking forward to seeing her tomorrow.

How great is that. Awesome PR if you ask me. I don't know where you live, but here in "small town" USA, I am more than pleased with the way things are going at school.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have been very blessed. I was acting like such a baby. I was bawling in my car because my daughter loved her school and I had to go in to get the transfer papers. I still have not heard from the principal, so things do not look too good. I guess it's time to just let this go. Thank you for sharing your story. Glad you're daughter's school situation turned out well.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wol I am thinking of you and your daughter. (((Hugs)))

Here is something I have learnt (on my own, in my denial period). If you want something (and remember you have the right to want something) try to speak face-to-face with the person who has the power to meet your need.

If I read your posts correctly, you want your daughter to stay in a school she loves. The rules say you cannot have this. Here's a little secret, rules can be broken. You pushed at the boundary of the rule by making that phonecall and asking the principal to call you - go you, that was very strong. You didn't get through the boundary, the rule has held firm and you are left hurting.

You are left with a choice, you can let it go or you can have another go at breaking the rule to try to get what you want. Only you will know what is the correct choice for you.

If this were me having a second go at breaking the rule, I would ask for a face-to-face appointment with the principal where I could put my case to him / her. In the meeting I would remember that I have the right to want my daughter to stay in the school where she is happy, this will come across in my body language and in what I say. I would try to be assertive (something I find very difficult), I would try not be passive (something I find very easy), I would not be agressive (I don't know how to be agressive, it was beaten out of me as a very young child).

Fwiw I have worked in a school . Agressive parents never got what they wanted with our head-teacher, she was a tough cookie. The most successful parent I saw getting her own way just never went away but she was always assertive stating what she wanted for her son.

Good luck to you, IWTH xxx
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have called the Vice Principal and the Principal and neither has called me back. I can't even get someone on the phone to make an appointment.

Thank you for your response.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Some_Girl

Don't Give Up

Have you tried to go up to the school during business hours? Showing up might catch them off guard and you can get your meeting. Is calling the board back and option? Tell them you have tried several times to get in touch with the Principal and ask if their is anything they can do to help you. Just stay calm, because if you get angered and frustrated they might not help. Don't give up.

:ghug3
Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'll try that, but I don't think it will work.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Finally heard back from the Principal and she said no, unless my daughter is in Advanced Academics or Ingenuity. I had called a couple weeks ago and asked for her MSA scores and never received them. I tried getting her into Adv Academics & Ingenuity when she started there in 6th grade, but she was not accepted. Her grades are good enough and her MSA scores from 5th grade are advanced. I asked about applying for Adv Academics & Ingenuity and was told they are full. Why even tell me about them, if they are full? I'm getting the run around.