My wife is an ACOA

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your help! You have been very insightful! I know what you saying is what I need to do, because Ive heard the promises long enough but the situation persists. Thank you again!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

She's got her cake, and eating it too.. a perfect little world... sounds like it's your move.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We went to a marriage counselor, once, and she felt like she was being attacked,
Of course she's feeling attacked. The counselor told her that she had issues, when she is in complete denial.

From her standpoint, she really does believe this is Not My Fault. I know it doesn't make sense, but trust me, she really doesn't see how she's contributing to this. Somewhere waaaaay in the depths of her psyche she may actually think that she might have some part to play in this, but the rest of her can't believe it without shattering the entire rest of her world. It is a defense mechanism, it is a tool that protected her from whatever it was she dealt with at home. It may be the only tool she's got.

As an example, let's say that I don't believe in lying, yet outwardly, I perpetually make up little stories. I see it as making up stories - everyone around me sees it as lying. If someone were then to call me a liar, I would be incensed. What's going on with her is probably very much like this, and she responded in a predictable manner.

I'm not one for ultimatums. I am also not one for subjecting myself (or children) to any more harm than is absolutely necessary. The world is a mean confusing enough place - I don't need more mean and confusing in my own house.

It is a difficult situation you're in. I hope you find a way to gracefully (not necessarily smoothly) remove yourself and your son from it. You're always welcome here if you want more input.