1st meeting tonight

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering ACOA

1st meeting tonight

Hi everyone

There isn't an ACOA group anywhere near me so I'm going to try AA Family & Friends of Alcoholics. My 1st meeting is tonight, I've been considering it for a couple of years but just plucked up the courage to go, though I am terrified!

I'm going to try this alongside some one on one therapy I've just started.

There's only 1 way to find out but I don't know how much will apply to me. My dad is still an active alcoholic and I'm still in contact with him but I'm at a place where I've pretty much accepted his drinking and now am working on myself and ACOA issues.

Has anyone else been to a similar group as an ACOA? I really don't know what to expect.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey lostagain,

I haven't been to an Al-Anon meeting to learn about ACOA stuff, just have gone as a friend & family of alcoholics. Some of it was relevant, some of it wasn't, but I did meet several people who were there because alcoholism is a long-standing problem in their family -- in other words, Al-Anon meetings are a likely place to meet other ACOAs, even if you don't talk about it specifically.

Let us know how it goes - I don't have an ACOA meeting around me either, and I'm curious whether it has value for you. Take a deep breath - you can do it!!

Hugs,
GL