SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/)
-   -   breaking out of the deprivation cycle - at last! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/adult-children-addicted-alcoholic-parents/162587-breaking-out-deprivation-cycle-last.html)

Eleison 11-21-2008 08:44 AM

breaking out of the deprivation cycle - at last!

My parents' illnesses and addictions meant that I grew up very isolated, and deprived of cultural things. And I'm a very artistic person. Unlike my parents. They would always say that they didn't know where I got it from, because it wasn't from them, my ability to write, draw, dance.

My therapist has been encouraging me very strongly to get out and do artistic things.
Which is all well and good but I can't afford it.

I was feeling well pissed off earlier. Really angry with her. And myself. And life
But then I had a brainwave.
London for free websites. There's tonnes of them.
And there's free art exhibitions, concerts, and so forth.

I've already got a list.
I aim to do one thing, at least, a week.

I'm really chuffed and proud of myself.

I am planning to go and see an art exhibition on Sunday. :)

Kallista 11-21-2008 09:29 AM

Good for you!

You broke through and solved your problem. It's hard when you're stuck.

GiveLove 11-21-2008 12:50 PM

I love the free listings!! I've gotten to do so many things that way that I normally couldn't afford, and it's really helped me to get more joy into my life. Luckily, I'm a writer so it's fairly cheap and easy to keep doing that :D But dance etc. can be more expensive to see, so I can understand why you were angry until you solved your problem. Brilliant thinking, eleison!

Eleison 11-22-2008 11:06 AM

Thank you both.
I just need to continue with my resolve and get out there and do things. My particular set of symptoms mean being out in public can be a real challenge.
I did have a Befriender through Mind, but she disappeared on me, and the potential new one wasn't comfortable with me and I wasn't comfortable with her.
I even found a free dance performance in 2 weeks time that I can go and see after work.

Eleison 11-23-2008 07:29 AM

I went to the Barbican this morning, and saw this amazing free exhibition of an art piece. And checked out the whole place.
I feel so much more... free?

GiveLove 11-23-2008 12:30 PM

Free means a lot to me.

Do you have Freecycle where you live, eleison?
Regions of United States

I have gotten (and gotten rid of!) some very nice things, including event tickets, by explaining my situation there. A lot of times, people get free passes/tickets/etc. through work or friends and simply can't use them, and feel guilty about it. I have also been the recipient of a bread maker, a large easel, and a fine collection of toys for my dogs. ( i have given away clothes, light fixtures, and sports equipment ) I am always glad to help people with their guilt ;)

Keep up the good resourceful thinking. It is obvious you're a creative person!!

Eleison 11-23-2008 12:56 PM

Thanks. :)

I never thought about Freecycle for things like that. I will look into it! Yes, we do have it here. A colleague at work is always getting stuff from it.

Live 11-23-2008 02:58 PM

YAY for you.

I have actually discovered I like going to art museums by myself.
If I wish to linger in a certain place, I can take as long as I want.
If I am not interested I can go right on around the corner to the things that I want to see...etc.

Same thing for many places and events.

Took H to see the Nutcracker and I dressed in true form from the past "carroling style"
To me it is magical every time. And then he dumps on it.
Fine, next time you don't get to go.

Cheese 11-23-2008 04:25 PM

Wow, congratulations! This is a big step for you and a great one! Why do we always want to deprive ourselves of the things we enjoy when we wouldn't THINK of depriving others?!

Good for you, Little Artist! Go and have a marvelous time! I'm proud of you!

Cheese

Eleison 11-24-2008 12:02 AM

Thank you. :)

Cheese 11-29-2008 05:37 PM

Let us know how it goes for you, Eleison. :bday8

Eleison 11-30-2008 08:19 AM

I went to the Freud Museum today. :)