Reparenting work?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reparenting work?

Has anyone done any work around "reparenting" with themselves? I'd like to learn more about the kinds of issues this addresses, and thought I'd start looking for resources.

Thanks in advance

GL
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't done any true 'reparenting' work GL, but I do repeat something in my head that my counselor told me: "I am humans, humans make mistakes, therefore I will make mistakes". My biggest issue was with perfectionism, and the anger I felt at myself if I didn't get something exactly right the first time. To expect perfection would mean I was a machine, not to mention the fact that "perfect" people (the ones who almost never make mistakes) are actually kind of creepy, has helped me let go of some of those old tapes.

In a way, I suppose this is reparenting as it is removing a sense of failure that was instilled in me from years of not being given any latitude for making mistakes. I can now give myself permission to make mistakes (as long as I take ownership of the mistake and don't try to blame it on someone else).

I guess I'm reparenting myself one item at a time. I have yet to find my trapped child and release her though. Still working on that.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

GL, I did some inner child work some years ago that was very, very helpful in reparenting....if you would like to pm me, I would be glad to share....
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't, but I am very interested in the topic, having now two young sons myself, and finding I could do with some 'changing of the patterns'