Where to Begin...?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to Begin...?

Hi. This is my first posting - and quite honestly I am very new at all of this. The abbreviated version of my story:

My mom is addicted to prescription narcotics (4 that I know at this time - It was 7 a few years back so its hard to tell the whole truth).
This has been for the last 12 years.
Her dr. is a family friend and sees no problem with refilling the prescriptions early or giving her larger doses.
The pharmacies (yes there are more than 1 - another issue) have no problem continuing to fill the scripts early knowing full well that she probably had the same prescription filled a few days prior at another pharmacy.
To my mom's credit she is trying very hard to ween herself off - but has realized it is impossible for her to do alone.

This past weekend she ran out of meds on Friday and could not get it refilled until Monday am. She began to go through severe withdrawls symptoms late Saturday and All day Sunday. My younger sister (22yo) who lives with her found her Sunday am breathing very shallowly, her skin was gray, and according to my sister "looked like she was on death's door"

Monday my mom admitted for the 1st time ever that A) She does have a problem, B) She wants to get help, C) She probably needs inpatient rehab.

Problem: Now that the drugs are back in her system - she is denying that anything is wrong.

She has an appointment tomorrow with her physician and is afraid he is going to say enough is enough.

I don't even know where to being to research inpatient rehabs for prescription addictions... I'm kinda feeling lost and trapped.

I want her to go and get treatment... but I feel like this was all a game as usual. Any suggestions?

Maybe I just needed to vent - I have just hit that place where i quite frankly don't care anymore - is she killing herself slowly? yes, does she want to die? probably, Do I feel like a big pile of crap everytime we talk about it? yes... but most importantly... Do I miss my 'true' mom? Every second of everyday
Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most rehabs take perscription drug addicts.

Your local health dept, or even hospital will have a list of local rehabs. Her insurance will also be able to give you a list if she is insured.

I wish you luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there JDaughter, and welcome to this wonderful website

I'm sorry you are going thru this hardship. Watching a loved one slowly destroy themselves has got to be the worst thing in the world. There's several things you can do to help you unravel this mess. Start by reading the "sticky posts" at the top of this forum, and also in the other "Friends and Family" forums in this website.

That's a lot of reading, so when you need a break from the computer screen pick up your phone book and call the local office of al-anon. Ask them to direct you to a meeting that is convenient to you. Those folks are the experts and dealing with addiction in a family member, and they will be able to give you their personal experience with rehab facilities in your area.

They also have lots of wonderful books and pamphlets. I found their literature to be a life saver.

While you're doing all this research you're going to have lots of questions. Just pop in here, or in the other "Friends and Family" forums and toss them out. We'll all chime in with our personal experience.

Welcome again.

Mike