Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Talking Happy New Year

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first New Year at SR.

This time last year I was going crazy over family issues and had lost almost all the program I had stored up till that time....11years worth.

We were back living close to sober dysfunctional relatives and sharing a buisness with them...I don't regret it....I learned alot..namely..I wasn't as "recovered" as I thought...because we never "graduate" from recovery. As soon as you think you have it all figured out...watch out! I still had ALOT to learn..

I never thought I would be able to set boundaries with these relatives and keep to it, but I have...I have self respect, peace and joy!

I am sane today and in possesion of some serenity...

I hope you all have the best year yet!

Love to my acoa family,

Growing
Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Progress Not Perfection

Where were you in your recovery last year?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

woooohooooo Happy New Year!!!!!

* fiddling with puter to get ***** smileys to work *

The New Years that brought me to SR was not my best. I'd lost my business, my father, uncle and aunt, my marriage, my house, and had the first of many heart attacks and hospitalizations. Had to move outta town for work and lost most of my friends too, all in the last 6 months of the year. ugggggh.

Talk about feeling low. That was _awful_.

Today I have a nice little condo, furniture even, a good job where I recently got promoted, tons of new friends who have stuck to me like super-glue thru my medical "encounters", and am slowly building a new relationship with a truly amazing lady. None of which I would have had it not been for this whole "12 step recovery" thing and the wonderful people here on SR.

This last year has been my best ever, not in terms of things acquired but in terms of personal growth and friendships shared. The best gift I am getting these holidays is a chance to make 2008 as good as 2007, a gift I am still a little overwhelmed by.

Mike
Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Growing, like you, this is my first new year here.

I have to say my view of 2008 is more positive and hopeful since I found SR. I have begun to grow, have found a way to identify what I need, and have a new perspective on "letting go." You all have given me great gifts these past couple months - thanks! I can only hope that I can return the favor.

My new year's resolutions? To keep finding and maintaining healthy boundaries, to let go of care taking others, and to successfully get through seeing my eldest son off to college without too much grasping or holding on.

Things a mess? A bit, but not as much as I thought they might be when I was looking "down" 2007 last January.

Cheers -
UM
Old 01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ICU

This is my third New Years at SR.

Last year at this time I was doing pretty good with my recovery, well, in comparison to where I started that is. Then I hit a slump and became restless.

I think that recovery is kind of like a weight loss program. Sure, in the beginning you drop many of the pounds you wanted to shed, as you change old habits, put new, healthier thoughts in your head, and food in your body. And as you do, you begin to see consistent results. You are pleased! It seems easy!

Than your progress slows down a bit, and eventually you hit that plateau. You don't gain weight, but you don't loose weight either. You feel stuck and wonder if this is as good as it gets.

Still stuck with what seems to be no progress in sight, you begin to get disillusioned, bored, and you wonder, ‘what is the point’ in continuing to try so very hard with what you consider to be no reward.

Then without warning, your weight loss program is back on track. You realize you were just readjusting to all the new good habits you have developed. You learn that by not giving up, you have begun to move forward in a positive direction once again.

As the year 2007 progressed, I was less than impressed with my progress. I now see that I was looking at it all wrong. For as 2007 ended, and I mean the very last day of 2007, I learned that my recovery skills are becoming more deeply embedded in me and have the power to begin healing some of my old wounds. This is a wonderful realization as I continue my program in 2008! I am very grateful!

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread, Growing. Last year at this time, I was struggling mightily with the things all of us good ACoAs struggle with: guilt, obligation, fear, self-flagellation, a need for control, and overpowering sadness at the way my life had panned out. I was remembering all of my lost siblings and loved ones, lost to alcohol and drugs, and pondering what *I* could've done to prevent it all.....the "if onlys" were strong in my journal. The SR community has been a huge part of the turnaround in my life and my outlook since this time last year. Blessings to all of you who are looking for happiness. There is hope, honest to god there is.