Hello, not sure but give it a try

Old 07-22-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, not sure but give it a try

Hello there. I am not sure as to what to say. I have been a victim of alcholics my hole life. I want to talk to people about my life, my problems, I never have, not even my own husband, I feel like I can't. I have blocked out my younger years my hole life, as though it never happened. Its tramatic, I tried to talk to a counsler but she ended up leaving out of no where so know I am scared to. I have some trust issues as well as other ones. I guess I will try and open up a little, thats the reason why we are all here, for help. I'll start with my dad or dads. My biological father died when i was 18 months, he was drunk. Than my mother re married and her husband (my dad) adopted me when I was four. He is a big time alcholic, but I think I have denied it my hole life as though it was never a problem, but I have send the damage it as cause all of us, just I don't know, its confusing as though I dismissed all of it, someone will say something about it and I'll just smile say yeah and walk away. I don't know, I'll talk more later but I'm glad I can start leaving it behind the right way, talk to you all later, Aleks035
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there aleks, and glad to meet you

I had alcoholic parents too. Dad, Mom, aunts and uncles. Pretty crazy family all around. I also had a lot of trouble opening up, mainly because I didn't know how to tell if I could trust somebody or not.

What has done me the most good is going to meetings of al-anon, just like they said over in the "Friends and Family" forum. The meetings have tons of great books and pamphletes with all kinds of great information. The people at the meetings are just like the people here in SoberRecovery, except that you can _see_ them and see them nod when they understand and smile when they can relate.

You can find the number to the al-anon meetings in your phone book, give them a call and ask them which meetings are close to you and go check them out, see if you like them. I found them great to help me with my issues from my childhood as well as from my ex-wife who became a pill addict.

Welcome again, aleks, I'm glad you decided to join us.

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Aleks.

I understand your fears and concerns about opening up and how difficult it is. Know that in this forum, you are with people who have all lived similar lives. While our stories are not exactly the same, most of us will be able to relate to anything you may have to say.

My mom and dad are both alcoholics. Their parents were alcoholics. I don't know how far back in the family tree it runs, but I know that it goes back multiple generations. I also know that it stops with me, and I am willing to do whatever I need to ensure that I don't follow the same miserable path of my forebears.

Welcome to the forum.