The Fourth Step - Moral Inventory - Question

Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Fourth Step - Moral Inventory - Question

I am beginning the fourth step in my recovery and it looks pretty intense. I know I should not be afraid, but I just spent the whole weekend with an emotional hangover, and I am so good at stuffing my feelings...this feels like a hurricane sometimes.

Any suggestions on working through this step? Is it done all at once? Do you take a little bit at at a time? How did you feel afterwards?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have done two fourth steps, even though they were in AA and not ACOA. I did mine over time. It seems like it started out really hard but then once I got started writing my resentments they just kept coming. I wrote down everyone and everything that I resented, I really wanted to be rid of it all. It is probably time for me to do another one, blergh.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've done a lot of 4th steps. Probably 5 times already in my recovery.
Just layers and layers that gets peel away.
There's really not a right way or a wrong way...
Doing it... is the right way.

I had to go through AA to ACOA.

I always pray that my HP stand by my side before doing any
4th step inventory or writing.

My lastest 4th
I started doing a lot of extensive writing about my childhood
and it was a bit emotional and overwhelming at times.
I show up to meetings with emotional hangovers.
it was suggested that I write just 15 minutes a day for 90 days.
It gave me a time guide line, but If I need write a bit more just
to complete an issue, i should. This way it wasn't too overwhelming.

But its always had to be followed by and asset list..
Or maybe do an asset list to bring some balance

I also had a graditute list by myside.

I also do a release of all debet every year, kind of like a 4th
Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I have had an emotional hangover for about a week now. I want to live my life to and focus on the present/future on stuff that makes me happy. Sometimes I think the program you can maybe go too deep. If you dwell on the past, it gives no opportunity for a future. I did start making some amends today, letting go of resentment. I just want to move forward and feel good. Five times you did the fourth step, amazing....
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venusinlibra View Post
I am beginning the fourth step in my recovery and it looks pretty intense. I know I should not be afraid, but I just spent the whole weekend with an emotional hangover, and I am so good at stuffing my feelings...this feels like a hurricane sometimes.

Any suggestions on working through this step? Is it done all at once? Do you take a little bit at at a time? How did you feel afterwards?

Thanks.
It was suggested to me when I first did this Step that if I felt any emotional pressure whatsoever to stop what i was doing and take some time out.

There is no time limit on how fast or how slow to write out this Step but there may be a couple of important things to remember.

1) A moral inventory does not mean we only write the bad things about ourselves.

2) We cannot write too much, but we can write too little. The more we get down on paper the more we can benefit.

I always felt good after doing working on my Steps.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Hello.....my experience: I had been doing the third step prayer (on my knees) every night for a while. I did the 3rd step prayer holding hands with my sponsor right before starting the 4th step. I took directions exactly out of the Big Book. I did write it out all at once. I drove up into the mountains with a notebook, praying all the way and asking God to help me to be thorough and honest. I screamed and cried as I was doing it, feelings all of those feelings from the past.
I immediately did the 5th step with my sponsor (before I changed my mind, hehe). I have been happy, joyeous and free (most of the time) ever since. Thank you God
Good luck to you
AA Hugs,
Jig
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, that is an awesome idea. It is so strange...since I have been preparing for the fourth step writing...3 people who are at the top of my resentment list, called me out of the blue. The universe works in mysterious ways.