First Appointment

Old 04-20-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

Arrow First Appointment

Hello all, I wanted to inform everyone that my first appointment for my therapist is today. See it wasn't until May but yeaturday she called and told me she had a cancellation. So I took the appointment today. Wish me luck.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Amanda. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! I'm betting you'll walk in nervous and walk out wishing you'd had more time. I agree with Peter, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

well I guess it was okay... The lady was nice.... but I dont understand something... is a therapist and a psychiatrist two different people... well you see the woman has even me another appointment with her but also an appointment with a psychiatrist.... I thought she was one... I dont understand.... I just told her what I thought about and how I felt about things.... does this mean Im crazy? I should have asked her why she thought I needed to see one. Damn.....
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

usually a Psychiatrist and a Psychologists work together-the later being what you call a therapist,
A psychiatrist can oder you medication if it is needed a nd will monitor your progress with the psychologists-the one you will be spending the most time witIt is always good to open up--thats what your there for-they will work together and both know your situation and try to meet your needs. Good for you--best of luck!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sunflowers.jpg (2.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A therapist does not need a degree in anything. In some states, they don't even need a license or certification. A therapist is a person who helps you through the emotional/cognitive parts of your life which are giving you problems.

A psychologist has a degree, but may not be a therapist. Some psychologists are research only, some go into fields such as marketing where understanding what makes people tick is important.

A psychiatrist has a medical degree and went through medical school just like your regular doctor did, then specialized in psychiatry - so they're sort of like a psychologist except they can also write prescriptions.

Often a therapist (of any sort - my marriage counselor had a master's in education) will work together with a psychiatrist if they believe their patient could be helped by drugs as well as counseling. For a couple of years I saw both a psychiatrist and a therapist - the psychiatrist worked with me to find the best medications for me and did some psychoanalysis, my therapist helped me find ways to work with the world around me to help me develop the skills I needed.

The drugs are often very beneficial to therapy as they give a person a bit of a "leg up" to get over the worst of the situation so that the therapy can start helping the person. For instance, if a person has horrible anxiety, seeing a therapist alone may not help as they can't get the anxiety under control well enough to use the tools that their therapist is trying to help them develop. But once on the medication, they won't be in such a constant state of panic that they can't process information, so they can start using the tools and skills they're being taught, with the ultimate goal of coming off the medication once those skills are learned well enough that the person can function without the medication.

And some people may never be able to come back off the medication - not because of addiction, but because the neurochemistry and the physiological structures of the brain are significantly affected by one's environment during the crucial developmental years. In my case, I doubt I will ever be able to come off my medications. My developmental years caused my brain and brain chemistry to be permanently altered to such a state that my medications help, and the therapy helps even more, but I don't think the therapy alone even with all the skills I've learned will be enough to overcome the structural anomalies and chemical anomalies in my brain.

So it is very common for a therapist to work in conjunction with a psychiatrist. It is also quite useful for some people.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

GinerM thanks so much. That makes me feel so much better...Thank all of you for replying with good news I thought I was a nut...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update Amanda.It took me a couple of sessions to really be honest with my therapist but it does help. I always feel better after a session.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought I was a nut...
You're no more a nut than a good 75% of the population out there. Even those who aren't ACoAs have issues, and let's face it, our society doesn't exactly teach us good coping mechanisms. Brute force seems to be the coping mechanism of choice in our culture.

Sometimes I think becoming a buddhist monk sounds good - but I'd miss my husband and the little family we have.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

Thanks all for your supporting advice...its helped me so much...I hope I can get through this...