Thread: Advice Columns
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
earthgirrl
Paused

Thanks to everyone who replied! And I don't feel that what anyone wrote was harsh. You were all open and honest and to me, that means a lot! Am I the only one with an AH who lies a lot, especially about little things that really don't matter? LOL

I agree that it is an alcoholic's decision to drink or not. But when he's trying hard NOT to drink, I feel his family should respect him and his decision and respect the fact that his drinking is tearing his family apart and stop pushing him.

His sister is the biggest instigator. She is always in his face, wanting him to drink. If she doesn't have beer around, she can always scrounge up a bottle of tequilia or that green apple stuff and it's never good enough for her that she's got 3-4 people drinking with her. She always wants her brother to join in, no matter how many times he tells her no in an hour, she just refuses to respect his decision.

Since he was never pressured like this before I said anything, I can't help but think that the reason his sister & his mother are pressuring him now is because I said something.

I love the advice about not saying anything more and not confiding anything anymore. I have been doing that lately but his sister isn't backing off. She is very pushy, but I'm holding my ground. I have made a stand for us to spend time with my family during holidays instead of his and his sister is livid over this (before we always ditched my family for his).

I love this place, I have finally found somewhere that I feel comfortable and supported. Thanks to all of you for being here & for making me feel better. I know I'll get through all this and I know you all will too. I hope I can help others on this board. Just reading everyone else's posts has been a tremendous relief for me, knowing I'm not alone.

THANK YOU!!!