Old 08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

Originally Posted by Bobby4444
...my intentions. Which are to simply share my thoughts, with the understanding that I respect the thoughts of others that differ from mine.
Understood! With respect, all considerate perspectives welcome and encouraged! So long as all parties are open to open discussion...

Originally Posted by bobby4444
Spirituality, to me, does not exist. The reason I came to that conclusion was because of the definitions involved with it... At best, I conclude it as an idea, an interpretation of an individual.
I don't want to rely on a higher power, I want to rely on me and people who I can talk to.
Such is precisely why I do find spirituality a considerable concept. Spirituality is about the exploration of ideas, of the ethereal, contemplation of the incorporeal and that of immaterial nature. The definition of spiritual includes "of or relating to mind or intellect".

The immaterial, or so-called 'dark matter' comprises an estimated over 97% of the universe. The tangible material, under 3%. The human mind can conceive of only a tiny fragment of all that exists. We can barely tap into all that exists beyond what we can perceive through the senses. But the senses are sooo restricted, limited. Ideas exists. So much exists beyond what we perceive.

Spirituality is an idea that seems to be an emotional reaction to all that doesn't make sense, or furthermore, all that is chaotic in what we are able to comprehend. Spirituality... fails to provide anything that is useful.
"Religion picks up where science leaves off". Spirituality in its corrupt (popular) definition involves mysticism and emotions. It's religion that seeks to explain that which we cannot comprehend. Spirituality does not define the answers in any certain terms. Rather, it leaves the field wide open to interpretation. It's all about contemplation of how everything works together. It is the attempt to bring into consciousness, through contemplation of ideas and concepts outside of our own limited understanding. Spirituality is an attempt to become aware of what all we're not physically aware of. That, to me, is a useful pursuit. Requiring both internal reasoning as well as relying on external input. That is Interconnectedness in action.

Fascinating to observe, Bobby, how you and I have followed similar paths, first as a christian, then agnostic (unless you consider drugs a higher power, which for me they undeniably were), tried to follow the lead of NA, and now...I'm not athiest, probably closer to naturalist, I suppose. Where things make reasonable SENSE.

I was born an atheist, just like the rest of the population of the world. None of us knew of anything that resembled a God until we were taught it.
Actually, we aren't born athiest, we're born ignorant. We never knew anything until we learned it. All programming. All about learned experience and learned emotion and learned response. Hard wiring. Yep, my understanding too comes across as cold, calculating and unfeeling. Others see this and they get to feel superior to me, because they think they're more compassionate and caring than me. I leave them free to reel in their mysticism and God-mystery. While I'm busy reasoning things out and happily enjoying the process.