Old 07-31-2006, 09:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nevyn

Very interesting. I think I am your exact opposite in preferred learning style. I graduated college without ever opening a book. The last two years I never even bought my books. Everything I learned was from listening to my professors and drawing conclusions from my own observations. When it comes right down to it, a book is written by a person (often a teacher) so it is just a teacher in another form.

I would hazard to say that you are a more visual person. Things are factual to you only when they are written down. Anything communicated verbally is merely anecdotal. Seems to me a possible indication of mistrust of verbal sources, and that is why you are so careful to set everything out in such an analytical manner.

What others have said is right on the money. Play to your audience. Ask yourself how much they really need to know. Higher level management types tend to have little time available to worry themselves with details. They are also often not technically competent/confident. They want the big picture so that they can run with it to their next meeting - they want enough information that they can present a proposal to the guy above them without looking like an idiot. So you give them enough information to get their job done. It is up to you to filter out what they need to know based on your understanding of what they need to do with that information.