Old 07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Spirituality and Higher Power...one in the same?
If one relies on a HP through spirituality or religion, they are the same to me in the context of recovery or life in general. I do realize the basic differences, however, which is why I would lean toward exploring spirituality in the future, perhaps; it's about "interconnectedness" as you describe below. At this point, I don't view my recovery as individual to me (as peer support is a major component), nor as a spiritual experience.

Spirituality, in my understanding of it, is about the inextricable interconnectedness that unites all things. It is the energy that comprises the Whole. It is about recognizing my place in it. About being respectful and mindful of my environment and all that surrounds. So I call my "higher power" Interconnectedness. Not centered in some-thing or some-one or some-belief or some-program-religion-doctrine, rather, based on reasoning out how it all works. Focus on understanding inter-connections (patterns, natural law, natural order, evolution) to me is deeply spiritual. Because it removes me from the center, outside of my own ego. It's not about ego, it's about seeing how things connect. I've been using drugs to foster that detachment for me, and that did serve to get me out of my mind, but that only did half the job. It wasn't working through anything, it was not a solution. I SO understand your unwillingness to rely on a higher power as a "solution" to anything. I don't think that such a solution exists. I think the solution is found in engaging reason, in the observing how things work, in the seeking, in recognizing our place in the grand scheme of things.
Alright, this root beer is long gone and the ice cubes have all melted.
So, I submitted this post and then read yours that came in right before this, and I see I completely misinterpreted your intent! Funny, I've read your posts and you're right there in the mix with all the rest on constant stimuli overload.
Yes, I am opinionated. It drains me of energy that I could best utilize toward recovery and helping others. Categorically, this forum is out of bounds. Adherance to a higher power in any form is not secular. An individual who lives any aspect their life in accordance with a religious code is not secular.

If one wanted guidance in how to work the 12 steps or other program without relying on a god, one can visit a 12-step forum (been there, done that). I have received the best of advice, for which I am indebted and sincerely grateful. I'm not alone in that experience, I'm sure. Newcomers who arrive in the 12-step or Alcoholics/Narcotics forums will surely need the same guidance.

You're clearly not an "average simpleton" Autumn.
I have a very difficult time remaining focused.

Thanks for sharing.