Old 07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I work with research analysts... they are the only folks I know who "edit" a document by ADDING words. More, more, MORE clarification... background...proof. I think they are unique as individuals... but very similar taken as a group. You sound as though you would fit in well where I work.

My coworkers seldom present their findings to other analysts... they present their findings to policy makers - whose strengths are in almost any field EXCEPT analysis.

I think you have it pegged that the answer lies within YOU. You cannot force your audience to be like you... you have to stretch yourself to be more like your audience.

To TRULY understand the struggle they have with learning complext and detailed information. It is already obvious that they do not learn as you do. Take that information as a place to begin.

Presentations are NOT the place for proof, deep background or details. It is an overview. Those interested will read the report. The job of the presentation is to get them interested.

Do you know your time frame? Split that in half - the first half for your presentation, the second for questions and answers (to clarify).

Do you have chapter headings in the report? Those make good bullet points.

Figure out one sentence in addition to each bullet point to clarify (background), but leave out much of the "proof" - that comes in the report. Include page numbers at the bottom of each slide to indicate where in the report they can find additional information.

If, when practicing, you wrap it up in less time than allowed - add an additional sentence in the critical spots.

Practice at least TWICE in front of your peers.... and be prepared to say "THANK YOU" for the criticizm without judging the one who critiques. It is your call whether or not to incorporate his or her ideas into your presentation.

Our analsyts do 2 dry runs amongst themselves... and they are brutal, yet kind. Our staff have the best reputation in OUR legislature for presenting complex data in a concise and clear manner.

You obviously know your stuff, and that is a big first hurdle for many folks. Your audience has a desire to see you succeed - they WANT to know what you have for them. I think you will do fine.

(((Equus))))