Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PaperDolls
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by equus
Thanks PD! I was defensive because I've been called names for it in the past. I don't mind something like the comments that led to this - I like that because I'll learn from it. But being called arrogant stinks, being called cold or unfeeling stinks, especially as I wouldn't read unless I knew I don't know AND cared enough to try and learn.

In personal relationships it's a small problem - at work it's a bigger problem as mostly I present to meetings attended by those two or three tiers above me in post!!

Sometimes I get angry but I'm working on that - I get angry that they haven't read because I can't understand that. If someone says the law says X - check it, especially if your job means you need to know!! I get frustrated because I'm not blessed with any special talent, I just try hard (I mean at work). Getting frustrated or angry doesn't work though - so it's time for plan B!!

Friends pretty much accept me as I am - occasionally there are little glitches but nothing major.

Still ok on the length front??
I would assume people call you arrogant because they are jealous of you. No one like to not understand something. It makes you (well me anyway) feel inferior. You are so much smarter than me......mostly because you love to learn knew things. Well, actually, I do too but I think I'm lazy about the reading things. I like things summarized for me.

I don't know what type of job you have but I would say - assume nothing - assume they don't know what you're talking about. May be you could write you presentation - long winded as it may be - then from that info write a summary that will actually be your presentation. Make yourself an outline and note the important points or the learning objectives. Summarize them at the beginning and at the end. It's a bit redundant but it helps the listener know what is expected of them and people like bulleted lists. It's easy to take notes from and easy to read.

I get frustrated because I'm not blessed with any special talent
This is NOT true. You have lots of talents. One of them being that you don't take things for granted......you questions things, you learn, you experience, you share......some people cannot do this. It is a great talent! I love reading your posts. You're an excellent writer and I can tell when I read your posts that you know what you're talking about. You've done your research.