View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tiredbusymom
Paused

I think that you and your husband should discuss your concerns with the prescribing doctor. I work in a hospital and know that alcoholics are often prescribed narcotic pain meds. My main concern would be the acetaminophen in the vicoden mixed with alcohol can cause serious liver damage. Also, antidepressants do not work when mixed with alcohol(a depressant). The two drugs just counteract each other. If your husband's doctor is aware of his drinking problem, then he has probably made proper choices. Many times people suffering from depression self-medicate(alcohol) because it tends to numb the feelings. I strongly urge you to explain this to your husband. If he is not comfortable talking to his doctor about this, he can discuss the situation with a pharmacist. They are usually very willing to discuss these things over the telephone, so your husband can be anonymous.
Good luck! You may want to check out the posts on this site about depression and mental health. You shouldn't have to live like this. My prayers are with you.