View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

The terrible irony of clinging to beliefs out of fear of unknowns/ change/ losing someone to something they don't believe or understand, is the more rigidly one adheres to that belief and insist that everyone do the same (family unity, identity, belonging) the more impossible it becomes to allow alternate points of view/ ways of living into consideration, which drives those who deviate from the norm away. There is no acceptance or understanding in force, manipulation, command, demand.

Which brings me back to what originally prompted this thread,
Originally Posted by utopia
i also remember that what irritates me about others is usually something within me.
I learned fierce adherence to Truth as I understand it VERY well. My family and I are ALL that way. Therein lies the conflict, you see. After the religious foundation crumbled I moved every ounce of that conviction into drugs. Kept me in active addiction for 19 years. They had expectations and preconceptions of what I should believe and be, I gave up trying to explain my thinking (keeping information about drugs completely out of the discussion) and let them believe what they wanted. Failed communication all around. Drives me nuts! About them, and about me.

Originally Posted by morningglory
The best thing that ever happened to me was finding out I was wrong by discovering "truth" in a different light.
It's mind-expanding! Freeing one from the rigidity of preconceived beliefs. That thinking that we have the answers then forces us to defend our position. Better to admit that there's so much to be learned, and be open to the possibilities of greater understanding, than to claim to have it all figured out. I'm in the process of another major reality shift right now. It's uncomfortable. But I'm getting used to it. Good to know I'm not drifting out at sea alone this time. Thanks for engaging me in this.

(I don't eat steak, but these free range eggs and vegetables from this farm are mighty delicious and nutritious...all parts of a whole meal...)