View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

Originally Posted by cmc
I think the reason why people feel the need to push is sometimes just human nature. Most mean well. We try something new and want everyone else to learn/try/wear/eat/drive/believe in- what we have experienced. The problem is not in the sharing but involves a lack of awareness.
Yes, both responses help me define the point I'm reaching for here. It is human nature to want to relate/ associate/ understand...it's a need for belonging. I think that's where the "awareness" factor comes in. What are the motives behind wanting to share.

How one goes about spreading their message reveals the underlying intent.
Is it simply to share what one has found with others? That is accomplished with relative passivity. "Here is what I have to offer. Listen and try if you so choose." That is "live and let live".

Or, is it forced, preached, commanded, demanded, perhaps even imbued with threat or fear. Then the motive isn't about the message, it's about the messenger, self-serving with intent to build themselves up in their own eyes and/ or in the eyes of others.

You can test motives by saying, "No thank you, let's move on." The reaction is highly revealing.

It all revolves around humility, respect, and ego. The better one geninuely understands their own motives, the more genuine their message will appear to others.

(I've never eaten sushi so I have no opinion on that. But I have eaten cow brains because dad made me. Didn't kill me to try. Tastes like mushrooms. Nevertheless, I won't be eating any more brains. )