View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marriedtoit

A question about enabling

I'm constantly asked why I continue to buy alcohol for my A and do whatever he wants. I don't wish to live this way it just makes my life easier if I give in to my A's demands. It's mainly because it stops an argument and keeps some kind of sanity in my home. If I don't give in to him, he'll steal the money from me or sell something. He'll destroy my personal property. He'll yell at my son. He'll destroy work projects or worse yet, call someone I work with in a drunken rage. He will steal my car keys, steal my cell phone, cut all the phone lines in the house, disable my car, etc., etc., etc. He knows better than to hit me because he knows I would call the police so I'm not physically abused but the emotional abuse is draining. He knows how to push my buttons. My A started drinking again after six months. I do plan to leave or get legal assistance to have him removed from the home but in the meantime, I do not want to enable him. It's just so darn hard. Right now he is passed out cold in the basement. I know that when he gets up he will be demanding money because he's out of beer. (I took away his ATM/Credit Card and took his name off the bank account during his last drinking binge.) There are so many repercussions if I don't give in. I just know if I don't go get his beer tonight, there will be hell to pay. How do you guys handle it? What can I do to stop enabling him without putting me and my son in harm's way?