Thread: I'm challenged
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
aloneagainor

Secular is not about religious bashing, though by definition it does reject every religious faith and worship.

Secularist (also secularism): One who rejects every form of religious faith and worship, and undertakes to live accordingly; also, one who believes that education and other civil matters should be without religious element.

In my quest for understanding I consider any and all religious viewpoints, to try to see them for what they are, and recognize why I reject organized religion. There's a HUGE philosophical difference between religion and spirituality. As neatly defined in a passage at Spirituality forum yesterday:

Buddhist thought of the day 7/28/06
Until a radical change takes place and we wipe out all nationalities, all ideologies, all religious divisions, and establish a global relationship - psychologically first, inwardly before organizing the outer - we shall go on with wars. - J. Krishnamurti

As one who takes that seriously, and actively undertakes to live accordingly, I think we have to rise above focus on subjective differences and objectively concentrate on the reasons behind the differences of perspective. If everyone was open to freely express their position, removing all elements of dogmatic religious judgment, there could be learning and understanding, rather than defending and disagreement.

I've had to remove myself from my extremely fundamentally religious-minded family and several close relationships because I couldn't live according to their preset concepts, and they certainly weren't going to consider mine. Made isolation in drugs Almightily appealing. But that's (now obviously) not the answer either. I'm still hopeful this forum can rise above all matters of ego and get to the heart of the matter. That being, how to live BETTER on a level of mutual understanding and respect at the core. That requires internal understanding of how everything works together, and how each of us play role within the Whole. Again I restate, Interconnectedness is my definition of God. That puts the responsibility for understanding, respect, interaction with others squarely on the shoulders of every individual, to seek their OWN definition of the god of their understanding. No religion necessary. It's really very freeing.