View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 04:16 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
felicity
is grateful

Take what you want and leave the rest, you say?

My addict mind automatically thinks of the phrase: "Do not use, no matter what."

Ok ... here goes ....

"DO ... USE ... "

Well, that's all I really want!!! Guess the AA philosophy works just fine for me!!!

Seriously, though, as an athiest I find AA and NA teachings harder to swallow than tequila on a stomachful of redhot chili sauce. I came ... I tried ... I failed ... I left.

While I respect that the program works for many people, I am not convinced that it could ever help me. First of all, I believe that my work is my salvation. And dammit, if I'm a workaholic ... then that's the best "aholic" I can think of to be. At least I won't be homeless, and if I get sick I have plenty of money to fix myself, and unlike most people, I actually love my job (which is what a person spends the majority of their time doing, anyway).

So, work is my solution to my addiction. I'm pretty happy with my solution today.

I do take some advice from AA and NA, though ... such as taking it day by day, being grateful for what you have, faking it until you make it, and having close friends. This is practical, good advice to live by.