Thread: I'm challenged
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
equus

Paul - I think your take on it is very subjective.
"I hate everything to do with religion and there's nothing I like better than having a good go at it".
I don't doubt you feel this but it isn't what I'd call factual - I haven't heard anyone say that. I get the feeling your discomfort is more about not wanting people to be clear about what they do and don't believe.

I posted about human rights and expressed I feel more emotion about defending them than my nation, friends or family. If ANYONE, even those nearest and dearest to me sought to ban a religion or even to 'cleanse' religion from a programme that relies on it - I would argue against them and do everything I felt possible to protect the right for people to gather and share their own beliefs.

Secondly, how do you deal cognitively with seeing that I freely quote the Dalai Lama and Ghandi? Not only that but I don't get any negative response to doing so from other aithiests - although I have had support.

I don't believe in god. I'm secular in my way of life so much so that aitheism doesn't define the whole of me. My lack of belief in god matters far less to me than my positive belief in human rights and kindness.

I'm saying that I think your post is a very narrow view of what's been shared in this forum - and perhaps a views heavily flavoured by your own discomforts and beliefs.