View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2dayzmuse
Paused

When I went to my first AA meeting I was pretty freaked out by all of the God talk. I do not go to church and have no plans to start going. I likened the meeting to church because I had nothing else to base my experience on. At the end of the meeting they all gathered hands and said the Lord's Prayer. That about sent me over the top. I was way out of my comfort zone. I kept going back however.

I wanted sobriety more than anything else in the world. I felt that meetings were the only thing that could help me at that time. I still do not see myself as religious, but have grown as a spiritual being. I do not view the two as the same, because I have experienced the two separately and know in my heart the difference.

The God thing no longer bothers me. The term take what you need and leave the rest really applies here. Do no let any preconceived notions stop you from trying meetings. It may help you find some resolve and comfort in your life. Also, do not judge meeting by only attending a few. It takes time to fully understand the process and how it works. I walked into AA hurting, leery and very unsure. Today I walk out happy, serene and sober. I know I can learn to adapt to fit my needs. My sobriety depends on it.