Thread: Harvard Speaks
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
equus

Am I right in thinking that this approach is for those who have already made a decision, however small, to address their behaviour?
I believe the approach covers both after someone is addressing their behaviour and before. What we experienced working together through counselling was done after D had gone for help - obviously, therefore I can't talk personally.

However I have 2 stories not 1 with D - now and ten years ago. Ten years ago you'd be pushed to meet anyone less interested in getting better - yet he remembered much of what I said and despite our parting for almost a decade came to look for me - SOBER! In the light of events it seems more credible to me that what he heard BEFORE his own decision was still worth something than to say it wasn't.

I just see so many of the similarities these days, rather than differences.
I think the similarities are often behavioural even when that isn't intended. For example detaching from another's behaviour and the behavioural model of extinction are almost identicle. CRA - or CRAFT when family therapy is added on goes one step further, it talks about how to encourage and develop the positives - in a sense it shifts the focus from negative to positive in how someone else behaves.

I just downloaded the article on CRA, after skimming it online.
HT - There's a book that is based on CRAFT if you want it I'll give you the reference.

Last of all for me it's about genuiness - I don't want to get into 'fake it till you make it', my core values matter to much to be sacrificed. Learning about ways my behaviour reflects what I genuinely want (to give respect, to help, to be ONE person inside and out) helps me to bring in line, my heart, my words and my actions. There's nothing underhand - it ain't like I didn't say from the start (10 years ago) 'I want you away from booze'.

D knew, I knew what the purpose was of our distinctly odd counselling - while we gave each other tasks like putting shoes away, we had been told it was about rewarding each other, being positive and creating change.