View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
equus

Er, actually, I think its partly about changing others minds - which I think is deeply wrong!
Is it? What if your dear friend had a belief that if they left AA they would be unable to cope but at the same time was becoming more deeply depressed the more they went? (hypothetical!! - NOT a comment on AA).

What if as in my job sometimes people believe a certain action isn't cost effective - yet I can change their mind by showing it is required by law?

What about people who have a good heart but have learned a hatred for asylum seekers? Is it not worth saying what % are unaccompanied children, or that over a quarter of them were professionals in their own country?

What about those who are afraid of teenagers and protest to outside children's homes with plackards while the children watch through the window?

Changing other people's minds is a part of life and has been since time begun, my mind has been changed and I'm grateful to leave behind the days when I believed things that simply didn't hold water.

What matters is to respect each other, respect that changing minds is no more about another's mind than our own and that inevitabley at times we will be the ones in the wrong.