Thread: Harvard Speaks
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
equus

I guess I felt my life was too short to wait for that to happen.
I made the same decision ten years ago with no regret. (NO - I'm not suggesting any future with you and R, I'm talking about our own decisions only!!).

My issue is that this isn't new research, it took me a year or so to find it but it isn't new, nor is it weak or unsupported NIAAA are a HUGE organisation to give it this level of backing. So WHY did I enter the 'recovery' enviroment and have to struggle quite so much to have my decision to want to help respected? And WHY were there people who not only knew it's value but knew how to support me through it in a way that helped not hurt me, ignored in their own organisation?

Why did our doctors consistantly aim to keep me involved while not having the resources to adequately support me being involved?

That's what I mean about the myth that needs busting - until those who have made the choice to help are equally respected and heard the voices asking for change will disappear. That's sad considering the benefits to be gained and what's at risk.