View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
equus

Big thanks for the vote of confidence!!

You now know that anybody can find information,
This is the part that I haven't learned. I work with teenagers that sometimes boarder on illiteracy, I work amongst adults who can challenged and daunted by journal language - their belief they cannot does stop them.

Looking back I'm so aware how many advantages I had - many by pure good fortune rather than design. I remember first seeking information, I read and read the same story and it was only my prior knowledge of diagnostics that rang bells loud enough for me to know I hadn't found what I was looking for yet. My ever having studied diagnostics was a fluke and a half but I'd been interested and remembered.

On here perhaps I have learned jargon but HELL I knew plenty that applies to UK services, I worked as a service provider!! I even hit the health care trusts with the National Standards Framework (meticulously referenced!) but they didn't even flinch! My GP did something which helped me so much in telling me she'd been through the same with her sister and even as a doctor couldn't get the help till she dragged her to ER.

Organisations change from within and for all people can become more knowledgable that only helps in getting help if they are heard. There's considerable legal pressure on organisations to listen, they are begining to have to prove by outcome that they do and they're asking how to do it. I'm currently writing strategies to answer that question with children looked after but it's on a wing and a prayer whether I have the clout to get them in place.

I want to study the process of interactions between people and organisations, the relationships that exist within it - good and bad. I want to learn more about groups and to maintain solid working relationships through tough negotiation. I want the qualifications to get me where I can influence change enough to get voices heard but most importantly to humanise 'service users'.

If that happens I think other things will change and then MAYBE anybody will be able to find information. I don't mind if it takes a few centuries (although faster would be good) I just want to be able to take part in it.