View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
equus

What's unreasonable?

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-George Bernard Shaw

I get this - not going along blindly, making changes and a certain self belief but I also like to think of myself as reasonable.

I try to be reasonable but to still ask myself to have the courage to challenge. I try but how can I ever know how far I succeed? I know sometimes what I've stood for is right, at work certainly there have been times where I may be the only one saying it in the room and yet I will. Yet I never REALLY know where the line is between courage and integrity or downright unreasonableness.

I think of myself as a tenaciously loyal person yet if my best friend, husband, workmate, or brother crossed a line I felt caused real harm to others I would say so. Sometimes I think without that I'm just the same as anyone else in history turning a blind eye, other times I question whether to even think this way is arrogance.

One person will say I am arrogant and unreasonable, then another says it's because the first is threatened - how can I know which one is telling me the truth? I'd like to say I'll trust those closest to me but I also know that means trusting those most biased.

Change is needed in all sorts of places, I can't excuse to myself having no responsibility for being a part of that but where is the line? Where's the line between arrogance and ureasonableness or courage and integrity?