Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Hi Mongo.

I want to contribute to your thread as a matter of courtesy, though I don't subscribe to any one particular recovery program or technique.

I regard life and the world as my classroom. It's been 10 months for me. Like Jazzman alluded, it hasn't been easy. A few minutes ago, I sat perusing the Humanist Steps Don posted. I thought that all of those (and then some) are a matter of course with right living for me. I think when one stays focused on a higher quality of life and keeps moving forward, problems and their solutions eventually fall into place. Not that this hasn't been a time of serious introspection.

When I quit drinking, I was pretty dysfunctional in mind and spirit (spirit being my passion and resolve for living). I had contemplated rehab or an inpatient psychiatric program. With no insurance, I just decided to go it alone. I didn't have any sort of plan at my fingertips..... quitting was a matter of immediate urgency. I had been to AA in previous years, and I felt then that it wasn't a method that was suitable for me. I had done some Big Book study, and it just never clicked. I didn't have anyone available to intervene on my behalf. I guess when one is kind of alone in the world, you realize that much more how at the end of the day, you're all you've really got. My Mother, who was the most available to me, always had this "tough love" bent that really forced me to deal with some very difficult situations on my own. She has always been an independent thinker and self-supporting, and I'm grateful for her example in that area of life.

I think I might be faring better so far had I chosen a program of recovery. I really needed to have it all spelled out on how to start everything all over again. I struggle with severe depression and ADD, and it has been very difficult for me to sort through the various problems I found myself facing. Books are, and always have been a real source of inspiration to me. I have lots of wonderful self-help books I rely upon for guidance during difficult times, and there has always been SR, with occasional group and one-on-one support from individual members. Reading is just absolutely fundamental for educating myself in any subject, project, or undertaking. I would take a good therapeutic workbook and wear it out. I'm an introvert, so writing and reading are ample and nearly sufficient resources. A good individual therapist will be an eventual boon to my recovery.

I live with someone who abuses alcohol, which messes with my serenity a lot and somewhat slows my healing process. It becomes difficult to remain focused on my own issues when his are at the forefront of my mind a good portion of the time. I'm still considering Alanon. I attend AA meetings with him on occasion (he was court-ordered). I haven't been in quite some time. The biggest inspiration I draw from meetings is being around people who manage to remain sober no matter what curveballs life throws at them. Just the warmth of being near fellow humans who share similar struggles is a creature comfort.

I recently started on Zoloft for my depression. It's been about 12 days or so, and I have been noticing small improvements. It's just amazing to me. I get tears in my eyes, because depression has been such a major torment for me through all this, and just the small amount of relief that increases a little bit every day has me overwhelmed with gratitude for all the happiness and good feelings I haven't been able to experience without. My recovery should pick up some momentum with this obstacle in the process of resolution. I wish I had started the Zoloft sooner, but even with insurance it is costing me $40.00 per month.

Well, I suppose this about covers it for me. Thanks for the thread Mongo, and good luck in your continuing journey.

:boat