Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mongo

Thanks all

Financially, drinking is a huge burden. Not only in a direct monetary way but a lot of other indirect ways.

For instance, had I not been kept from performing to my full potential on the job maybe I missed that big promotion, raise, etc. My addiction kept me from doing my best.

If I had taken all that money and invested it in , let's say, microsoft stock, I would be a wealthy man. Once again, my addiction has kept me down.

Not only money, but time. If the time I spent drinking was put to a more fruitful use, who knows what I may have accomplished.

The nice thing is, even though the past cannot be changed, the future is spotless. I will never be a pro athlete or a rock star, but I can use my sobriety to accomplish some very positive things.

I've been sober just about two months now, and I think that making a plan and setting some future goals is in order. I've had some pretty good benefits from abstaining already and there's no reason I can't do even more if I set my mind to it.

It's usually at this point in my past abstaining attempts that I crash and burn. How does a person keep up the motivation? I'd be really interested in hearing some ideas or positive results that people have had.

Keep well

Mongo