Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don W

Hi Michael, Just want you to know that I can identify with you. the only difference that I wasn't caught. It was difficult but, very brave to admit it. I'm sure you'll hear from others. I never got caught drunk driving, although I did it for years. I would only suggest that telling your wife the truth will remove another weight from your shoulders. I understand how difficult. One time when I was getting sober I had to admit to my wife that we were behind in bills and I spent savings. She was angry and called me every name in the book, and made up some new ones. I found it very difficult to remain sober with that over my head. The truth is, and I'm sure you know, that there will be a point that she'll be looking for unemployment checks. Then you'll have to lie again, and on and on. The only other thing I can suggest is to get some help with your drinking. You didn't mention it but, sometimes when we are sober, we were good workers. Anyway, take some time to write a lettewr and be honest about your problem. Ask them to give you another chance. Most companies also have an, Employee Assistance Program, you might be able to negotiate through them. Hey, the worst they can say is no. Many companies will work with you, depending how far you're willing to go. I agreed to be tested and it saved my present job. Many companies have found their best worker, best manager, best salesman etc are the ones with problems and are willing to bend. I don't want to give you false hope but, if you really want to get help and better, you need to take charge. We must clean up our own mess. I can't stress enough to be up front and honest. Even if you don't get this job, your going to need to offset a bad recomendation with a new employer. I just have this feeling that this might work for you. Don W