View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Originally Posted by Autumn
You scored as existentialist.

Existentialism emphasizes human capbility. There is no greater power interfering with life and thus it is up to us to make things happen. Sometimes considered a negative and depressing world view, your optimism towards human accomplishment is immense. Mankind is condemned to be free and must accept the responsibility.
I much prefer dictionary.com's description of existentialism. It really does describe me pretty well:

A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

I like how this definition stresses the uniqueness/isolation of the human experience in an indifferent universe. I don't know about hostile, but I understand the implication. The world can be a cold place.

I thought it was interesting how far apart I scored between existentialist and materialist, though postmodernist is closer to the truth for me. So yeah, someone who believes human existence is unexplainable but open to interpretation is pretty accurate.